the bread baking continues with reinhart’s recipe for multigrain bread (from the bread bakers apprentice) and lemme just say that this makes a magnificent loaf! the bread is so moist, sweet and evenly textured, that had i not been the one adding oatmeal, corn meal and wheat germ into the dough, i might not have believed that it is bread baked from multi-grains.
i’ve made this bread following reinhart’s somewhat flexible recipe twice now. i followed it to the tee the first time around, and then made an earl grey variation. to do that, simply substitute strong brewed earl grey tea for water, and add in 2 tbsp of finely ground earl grey tea powder (take some earl grey tea leaves and put them in your spice or coffee grinder).
Reinhart’s Multigrain Bread Extraordinaire
(adapted from the bread baker’s apprentice; make one large round loaf – approx. 10″ diameter)
|Cornmeal, millet, quinoa or amaranth||3 tbsp|
|Rolled oats, wheat, buckwheat or triticale flakes||3 tbsp|
|Wheat Bran||2 tbsp|
|Water||¼ cup @ room temp|
|Bread Flour||3 cups|
|Brown sugar||3 tbsp|
|Salt||1 ½ tsp|
|Instant yeast||1 tbsp|
|Cooked brown rice||3 tbsp|
|Honey||1 ½ tbsp|
|Buttermilk or Milk||½ cup|
|Water||¾ cup @ room temp|
- The day before make the soaker by mixing soaker ingredients in a small bowl. Cover with plastic and let sit at room temp overnight.
- The next day, add all the dough ingredients including the soaker in the bowl of your stand-mixer using the paddle attachment. Just mix until it comes together. Then remove the paddle attachment and switch to the dough hook.
- Mix on medium speed until the dough passes the windowpane test (about 8 minutes). The windowpane test is as follows: cut-off a small section of dough. Stretch and pull it. If the gluten has sufficiently developed, the dough should be able to hold a translucent membrane of dough.
- Lightly oil a large bowl. Transfer the dough to the bowl and cover the bowl with plastic. Let it sit at room tempt for 90 minutes or until it doubles in size.
- Remove the dough from bowl, form it into a round loaf, and place on a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Proof on the baking sheet for another 90 minutes or until the dough doubles in size.
- Pre-heat oven to 350ºF. Brush the tops of the loaf with some olive oil.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes or until the loaf is golden brown
- Cool on a rack.