so . . . when hubby asked me what was in the cookie, i told him that it was a miso almond butter white cherry jam raisin and chocolate chip cookie. he said, “a what? a raisin chocolate chip cookie?” to keep it simple, i replied, “hmmm let’s just say it’s a vegan cookie.”
i inherited my love of sweets from my mom, and for most of her life, my mom has never had to worry about high cholesterol. it’s always been freakishly low. i guess the aging process has finally caught up on her, such that now she asks me not to bake her cookies or haul back macarons from paris because she has to watch her cholesterol.
i got to thinking the other day, if it would be possible to bake a low or no cholesterol cookie, and started to flip thru some vegan recipes for inspiration. i arrived at a cookie recipe that has no cholesterol and 3.5g of fat per. i calculated this based on the nutritional label on the back of the ingredients used as well as some web searching. i used a homemade jam which incorporates less sugar than the commercial variety. as such, the sugar content below is probably higher than the actual. it’s an approximation…
|Cholesterol (in mg)||
|Sodium (in mg)||
(note: if you left out the chocolate chips and raisins, you would save about 10 calories per cookie)!
Vegan (miso almond butter white cherry jam raisin and chocolate chip) Cookies
(makes about 8 dozen 1″ round cookies)
|Wheat Flour||2 cups|
|Baking Soda||2 tsp|
|Cherry Jam||2/3 cup|
|Almond Butter||16 oz jar|
|Olive Oil||1/3 cup|
|Vegan Chocolate Chips||½ cup|
- Line a baking sheet with parchment and set aside. Pre-heat oven to 350ºF.
- Combine miso, cherry jam, almond butter and olive oil in the bowl of your standmixer. Mix until well combined.
- Then add in wheat flour and baking soda. Mix on lowest speed until a dough just forms.
- Drop in raisins and chocolate chips. Mix with a rubber spatula to incorporate into the dough.
- Drop 1 tbsp sized cookie dough onto baking sheet about 1″ apart. I got about 24 cookies per tray.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes. Then remove to cool on rack.