the white miso i used is a paste made up of fermented rice, barley and a bit of soybean. white miso is sweet compared to red miso, and lends a subtle umami flavour to even baked goods. basically, the flavour is there, but you wouldn’t notice it unless you tasted the same thing without the miso. miso’s got some mineral and vitamins that are purportedly good for you like B12, magnesium, zinc, etc to boot!
i decided to drop some white cherry jam that i had stewed up over the weekend into the cake as well. i wanted the jam to be a sturdy strip in the center of the cake, but in the process of baking, the cherries dropped to the bottom of the pan and the jam dispersed into the rest of the batter. not quite the effect i wanted, but it turned out pretty tasty nonetheless.
Miso Almond White Cherry Yogurt Cake
(makes 1 nine-inch loaf cake)
|Flour||270 g (2 cups)|
|Sugar||180 g (slightly less than 1 cup)|
|Baking powder||1 ½ tsp|
|Baking soda||½ tsp|
|Eggs||2 large ones|
|Yogurt||250 ml (1 cup)|
|Canola Oil||80 ml (1/3 cup)|
|White Miso||1 1/2 tbsp|
|Stuffings & Toppers|
|White Cherry Jam||1/3 cup|
|Sliced Almonds||1/3 cup|
- Butter and flour a loaf pan. Line the bottom with parchment paper. (The parchment prevents the cherries from sticking to the bottom of the pan and causing the cake to break). Set aside. Pre-heat oven to 350ºF.
- Place all dry ingredients in a bowl and whisk together until evenly combined.
- Combine all wet ingredients in a separate bowl.
- With the mixer set at the lowest speed (you can mix by hand as well), slowly pour in all the wet ingredients. Beat together until just combined. Do not overmix or else the cake will become chewy.
- Pour half the batter. Spoon the jam into the middle of the cake. Pour the other half of the batter over the cherry jam.
- Then, sprinkle the almonds on top of the batter.
- Bake at 350º F for about 1 hour or until a toothpick inserted into the cake comes out clean. You may need to cover the top of the cake with foil at the half way point to prevent it from burning.
- Let cool for 10 – 20 minutes before taking the cake out of the pan.