pineapple tart bars

there’s a very famous taiwanese pastry known as feng li su (鳳梨酥).  it’s basically a shortcake like dough that’s stuffed with a pineapple paste.  the traditional way of making these taiwanese goodies, entails making a lard based dough, rolling it into 3″ diameter circles, stuffing it with pineapple paste, wrapping it up, and then fitting the little package into a 1.5″ square mold so that each one comes out uniform. here’s a link to the finished product so that you get a sense of what it looks like.

i’ve endeavored to make feng li su the traditional way before.  and while the results are terrific, it’s also awfully time consuming to wrap and mold each one individually.  plus, lard isn’t so easy to come by in NYC.

to make things simple on myself, i decided to fill flo braker’s raspberry squares recipe with pineapple paste instead.  it’s certainly not as nice and neat as the traditional version, but hubby and i still find ourselves gobbling them up with gusto.  i had some grape jam leftover in the fridge and decided to throw some of that onto of the pineapple on one-side of the tart…just because!

Pineapple Tart Bars
(makes about 24 bars)

Pineapple Paste
Pineapple chunks 2 20oz cans
Sugar ¼ cup
Butter 3 tbsp
  1. Drain pineapple from liquids.  Then roughly chop in the food processor.  It should still be somewhat chunky.
  2. Place pineapple along with sugar and butter into a flat bottomed pot.
  3. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly to avoid burning.
  4. It’s ready when the pineapple turns a rich golden brown color and the liquids have all evaporated.  (About 20 minutes or so)
Making the Dough, Assembling & Baking
Butter 2 sticks @ room temp
Sugar 1 1/4 cups
Eggs 2 large ones
Vanilla Extract 1 tsp
Flour 3 cups
Salt ½ tsp
  1. Line a 9x13x2 inch pan with foil. Leave about a 2 inch overhang on the short ends.
  2. In the bowl of your stand mixer, beat together the butter and sugar using the paddle attachment until light and creamy.
  3. Add in the eggs, one at a time, and the vanilla.  Beat until smooth. Stop the mixer occasionally to scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl.
  4. On the lowest speed, add in the flour and salt. Mix until a dough forms.
  5. Divide the dough into 2 portions: one about 30% of the dough, and the other 70%
  6. Let the dough rest in fridge for at least 2 hours.
  7. Take the larger piece of dough out.  Roll it until it’s about 1/4″ thick and fit it into the bottom of a 9x13x2 inch pan.  With the sides going up about 1″.  We did so by rolling the dough on a piece of parchment paper with plastic on top.
  8. Spread the pineapple paste on top of the dough using an offset spatula.  You can add some jam too if you feel so inclined.
  9. Split the smaller piece of dough (that had been resting in the refrigerator) into 8 equal pieces.  On a well floured surface, roll each piece into a rope that is about 12 inches in length.  Fit these pieces of rope in a diagonal criss-crossing fashion across the top of the jam. You’re aiming to make a lattice window frame with the dough ropes.
  10. Bake at 350ºF for around 40-45 minutes, or when the dough has turned a golden brown.
  11. When the pan has completely cooled, carefully take the large jam square out of pan by lifting it out using the foil and a spatula.  Peel off the foil and discard.
  12. Cut into bars using a serrated knife.
  13. To store, stack the cookies using layers of parchment paper to separate.  They should keep at room temperature for 3 days in an airtight container.
Advertisements

2 responses to “pineapple tart bars

  1. Wow, what a stunner! That grape jam has served you well– how wonderful. I love the two-tone version. Quite brilliant of you to adapt from Flo’s raspberry sq. recipe. I am sure it was delicious! I would love to try that with lard. My grandmother always baked pies and dinner rolls with lard–have not tried it yet!

  2. Those bars sound incredibly delicious. All that buttery pastry and sweet filling, yum.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s