i tend to bake yogurt cakes two at a time. they need to bake for about 1 hour in the oven, so i figure, i better make good use of the energy by filling the oven up as much as i can. now this whole grain grape jam yogurt cake came about because i, uh, ran out of all sorts of things while whipping up the batter. i came up short of AP flour and substituted with whole grain. lacking an additional 1/2 cup of sugar, i used homemade grape jam baked right into the batter to make up the difference. fortunately, yogurt cakes are one of the more forgiving cakes out there, and with a little luck, it came out allright!
Whole Grain Grape Jam Yogurt Cake
(makes 1 nine-inch loaf cake)
|AP Flour||1 cup|
|Whole Grain Flour||1 cup|
|Baking powder||2 tsp|
|Baking soda||½ tsp|
|Eggs||2 large ones|
|Yogurt||250 ml (1 cup)|
|Canola Oil||80 ml (1/3 cup)|
|Grape Jam||½ cup (any type of jam can be used)|
- Butter and flour a loaf pan. Set aside. Pre-heat oven to 350ºF.
- Place all dry ingredients in a bowl and whisk together until evenly combined.
- Combine all wet ingredients, except grape jam in a separate bowl.
- With the mixer set at the lowest speed (you can mix by hand as well), slowly pour in all the wet ingredients. Beat together until just combined. Do not overmix or else the cake will become chewy.
- Fold grape jam into the batter, then fold in with a rubber spatula.
- Bake at 350º F for about 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the cake comes out clean.
- Let cool for 10 – 20 minutes before taking the cake out of the pan.