i realised the other day as i whipped up some yogurt cakes, that i had yet to bake up a chocolate yogurt cake. plus, i had a box of macerated strawberries lying about…and so the chocolate strawberry yogurt cake came about.
Chocolate Yogurt Cake with Strawberry Chunks
(makes two 9-inch loaf cakes)
|Dark chocolate||400g (just under 1 lb)|
|Canola oil||1 cup|
|Instant coffee||2 tbsp|
|Yogurt||1 ¼ cup|
|Sugar||1 ½ cups|
|Eggs||6 large ones|
|Vanilla extract||2 tsp|
|Baking powder||3 tsp|
|Strawberries||1 pint (cut into small bits, macerated with ¼ cup sugar, lemon juice from 1 lemon, 1 tbsp rum)|
- The day before prepare strawberries as follows. Remove stems and leaves. Wash and dry the berries. Then cut into small 1/4 to 1/2 inch chunks. Place into a storage container. Pour 1/4 cup sugar, juice from 1 lemon and 1 tbsp rum over the berries. Mix, cover and let sit in refrigerator overnight.
- Pre-heat oven to 350ºF. Butter and flour loaf pans and set aside.
- Melt chocolate together with instant coffee powder and canola oil in a heat proof bowl set over a saucepan of boiling water. Stir intermittently until chocolate has melted. Remove from heat and let cool a bit.
- In the bowl of your standmixer, mix together yogurt, sugar, eggs and vanilla extract until well combined.
- Pour in slightly cooled chocolate with the mixer on medium speed. Continue to mix for 30 seconds.
- Then, turn mixer down to lowest speed and add in flour, baking powder and salt. Whip until just combined.
- Turn off mixer. Drain strawberries from liquids and add to the batter. Fold into batter using a rubber spatula.
- Transfer batter into loaf pans. Bake for 60-70 minutes or until a tester comes out clean.
- Turn mixer down to lowest speed