i wish you could smell this! of the four yogurt cakes that i made, the english breakfast tea yogurt cake with berries is by far my favorite. i found the scent so intoxicating; it smelled not surprisingly like tea — not brewed tea but dried tea leaves prior to brewing, like that first whiff you get when pop open a cannister of high quality loose leaf teas. combined with the baked raspberries and blackberries releasing their fragrances and the fresh out of the oven smell of baked goods in general, i was somewhere between being in scent heaven and being a deranged being who sniffed at cake every few minutes.
but enough waxing on cake aromas…here’s the recipe for my little english breakfast tea yogurt cake experiment:
English Breakfast Tea Yogurt Cake with Berries
(one 3 inch x 9 inch loaf cake)
|Flour||270 g (2 cups)|
|Sugar||180 g (slightly less than 1 cup)|
|English Breakfast Tea Powder||2 tbsp (take 2 tbsp of english breakfast tea and grind it into a fine powder in a coffee grinder or food processor)|
|Baking powder||1 ½ tsp|
|Baking soda||½ tsp|
|Fresh or Frozen Berries||1 cup [I used a mix of raspberries and blackberries]|
|Eggs||2 large ones|
|Yogurt||250 ml (1 cup)|
|Canola Oil||80 ml (1/3 cup)|
- Butter and flour a loaf pan. Set aside. Pre-heat oven to 350ºF.
- Place all dry ingredients EXCEPT berries in a bowl and whisk together until evenly combined.
- Combine all wet ingredients in a separate bowl.
- With the mixer set at the lowest speed (you can mix by hand as well), slowly pour in all the wet ingredients. Beat together until just combined. Do not overmix or else the cake will become chewy.
- Place berries in a bowl and sprinkle with a bit of flour. This helps prevent them from sinking to the bottom. Then, add the berries to the batter and gently fold in with a rubber spatula.
- Pour into cake pan and bake at 350º F for about 45 minutes – 65 minutes or until a toothpick insert into the cake comes out clean. [Note: if you’re using frozen berries, the bake time will be closer to 65 minutes. the bake time for using fresh berries is a bit shorter.]
- Let cool for 10 minutes before taking the cake out of the pan.