i got so carried away with making yogurt cakes that i made another one that was earl grey flavored with chocolate chips. my one criticism of the maple yogurt cake is that the maple flavour was a bit too subtle. i wanted something with an intense flavour; i wanted to be able to smell earl grey in the cake and taste it as soon as my tongue hit the cake. to this effect, i added in 2 tbsp of ground earl grey tea powder, which turned out to be just the right amount for the effect i wanted.
i think i’ll make this cake again for my friend C, who is visiting from philly tomorrow…brave soul braving the snow.
Earl Grey & Chocolate Chip Yogurt Cake
(one 3 inch x 9 inch loaf cake)
|Flour||270 g (2 cups)|
|Sugar||180 g (slightly less than 1 cup)|
|Earl Grey Tea Powder||2 tbsp (take 2 tbsp of earl grey tea and grind it into a fine powder in a coffee grinder or food processor)|
|Baking powder||1 ½ tsp|
|Baking soda||½ tsp|
|Chocolate Chips||1/3 cup|
|Eggs||2 large ones|
|Yogurt||250 ml (1 cup)|
|Canola Oil||80 ml (1/3 cup)|
|Vanilla Extract||1 tsp|
- Butter and flour a loaf pan. Set aside. Pre-heat oven to 350ºF.
- Place all dry ingredients EXCEPT chocolate chips in a bowl and whisk together until evenly combined.
- Combine all wet ingredients in a separate bowl.
- With the mixer set at the lowest speed (you can mix by hand as well), slowly pour in all the wet ingredients. Beat together until just combined. Do not overmix or else the cake will become chewy.
- Add the chocolate chips to the batter and mix on the lowest speed until just evenly distributed.
- Pour into cake pan and bake at 350º F for 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick insert into the cake comes out clean.
- Let cool for 10 minutes before taking the cake out of the pan.