i baked yet another cheesecake for my cheesecake loving friend Y. it was her birthday and she was saying farewell to her final day of vacation. i thought she deserved a treat. while she loved the matcha cheesecake, she has sadly become lactose intolerant after many years of living in asia. she’s challenged me to make a lactose-free version of cheesecake. given the dearth of lactose-free cream cheese these days and not as yet wanting to venture out into tofu cheesecake land, i set out to make a slightly less lactose-infused cheesecake. the answer: the sweet potato cheesecake, which uses about 1/3 the amount of cream cheese as the normal cheesecake. this cheesecake is less tangy; tastes like autumnal spices! Probably a great cake to capture the essence of Thanksgiving.
Sweet Potato Cheesecake
(probably still best served with a Lactaid pill for your lactose intolerant friends, although Y didn’t seem to have any problems digesting this one)
(note: I got less rise out of this cheesecake than the matcha cheesecake. i think to get a cheesecake the fills a 9-inch spring form pan about 3 inches high, you really need to double the filling recipe below).
Sweet Potato 1.5 lbs
Cream Cheese 8 oz @ room temp
Cinnamon 2 tsp
Nutmeg 1 tsp
Salt 1/2 tsp
Rum 2 tsp
Eggs 2 large ones @ room temp
- Steam sweet potatoes until soft. ~45 minutes Peel off skin and set aside.
- While waiting for sweet potatoes to cool, prepare graham cracker crust as per matcha cheesecake recipe (don’t forget to wrap the pan with foil to prevent water from seaping in, and to place a people of parchment paper inside the paper for easy transfer).
- When the crust has cooled, start preparing the filling as in steps below.
- In a food processor, combine cream cheese, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt. Process until light and smooth
- Add in the sweet potatoes. Process again.
- Add in rum and eggs. Process until they just disappear.
- Transfer filling to the crust filled cake pan.
- Set oven to 325 degrees. Fill a large hotel pan with boiling water and set the cake pan in the center of it.
- Bake until set, about 1 h and 15 minutes.